Translate

Saturday 24 August 2013

Which One Shall I Take?

The blue smoke whirled and swirled bewitchingly before Adam saw an enticing figure emerge from the top. The creature’s eyes were strange and his smile made him uneasy but nevertheless Adam was drawn to the mystic being. Out of the smoke the genie cooed; “Ask for anything you want and I will give it thee.”
Immediately a golden platter appeared and Adam lurched forward as he saw the glittering gold wrapped parcels. There was one that he particularly coveted after, and it made his mouth drool.
               “I will take that one,” he blurted, and wondered at the husky sound in his voice.
               “That one? Uh, yes! Many people desire wealth.” He chuckled lightly, mockingly, “Ah, yes, ye shall have it, but at a cost.”
               “Oh, I know, I know, but I want it at any cost! Just give it me!”
               The genie slowly opened a bag bulging with gold pieces and Adam’s eyes bulged also. How many will he give me?
               A coin, one lonely coin was tossed in a high arch well over Adam’s head. Adam scrambled frantically for it, but missed. It fell somewhere into the dark abyss surrounding them.
               “Ah, well. No matter! Here’s another!” The genie tossed again and again as the centuries rolled, sometimes Adam caught them and sometimes not. Instead of wearying of the game, Adam grew more and more desperate and each time he managed to grab one in his sweaty palms he was so happy he felt like eating it, it was that precious to him.
               Through the muggy darkness a thin shaft of light was glowing off to one side. Many of Adam’s descendants hardly noticed, so distracted they were by the bewitching games the genies were entertaining them with.
               Rachel dropped the broach she had been holding and walked curiously over towards the light. There was something so different about its radiance than the eerie blue lights swirling around the genies.  As she drew nearer a peace seemed to emanate from the depths of the light.
               “What do you have to offer,” she asked? For some reason she felt the need to whisper as if in the presence of something, or Someone holy.
               “Peace,” a Voice responded. “Come unto me and I will give you rest.”
               “No tokens? No wealth? No fame? I would like beauty.”
               “Turn not away, my child. Those things fade away with time. What I offer will last forever.”
               Rachel hesitated. Then she looked up and saw a Face appear. A Face marred by suffering but alight with compassion. She was drawn to those eyes, those beautiful, beautiful eyes.”
               “What is the cost?” She whispered softly.
               Then she saw His hands and they had been deeply wounded by the imprint of nails. “I paid the price,” he replied, and his voice was like a musical balm to her soul.
               “What shall I do?”
               “Come unto me. Repent of your sins. Cease to do evil. Follow me.”
               “I will.”
               And she, too, was clothed in a garment of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment