Translate

Sunday 23 October 2016

Is the Head Covering Optional

I grew up going to a church where no one wore a head covering and never thought twice about it. Probably you did too, or maybe you belonged to a conservative group where it was the custom to wear some sort of veil at least in public religious services. Is it really necessary:  or is it a tradition that has more or less fallen by the wayside? What do you think? I’d love to hear your opinions.

Why did women wear it for so many years, no change that to centuries if it was just, well, fashion? 
Even at this present time, it is a custom here and there and certainly not only among Christian sects.
Wiki states one reason is for modesty or propriety. Okay, what exactly does that mean? Modesty seems like a beautiful thing to me. I like to think of it as signifying a woman who has a gracious, surrendered, a genteel spirit that doesn’t boldly flaunt her God-given beauty by wearing bold colors in outlandish combinations and styles or exposing her body improperly. How would you describe modesty?

Propriety says relating to an owner or ownership. Ouch, that sounds like slavery, does it not? Who wants to be a slave? No way, absolutely no way! Oh wait, Jesus is such a wonderful Master and King wouldn’t we want to get as close to Him as we possibly can? Wouldn’t we want to obey His faintest whisper if it would merit His smile of approval? I sure would.
Well, one day quite out of the blue, while reading my Bible and praying it came to me: you shouldn’t be praying without your head covered. What? What!! That was a new thought to me. I wanted to obey so donned some sort of veil while continuing my devotions. It felt right.


Not only right but I came across the eleventh chapter of 1st Corinthians and my eyes were opened, but not in an intellectual way. This scripture was plainly speaking of two head coverings for the woman, only one of which was referring to her hair.
What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment